Your nurse manager is an essential team member dedicated to motivating your nursing staff and interacting with upper management. That’s why hiring the best of the best is important to the success of your clinic, hospital, or facility. But how do you know what to focus on when it comes to hiring your next nurse manager? There are a variety of skills that a nurse manager should bring to the table, both hard and soft. Here are some things to consider when making your hiring decisions.
- Communication skills. A nurse manager has to communicate not only with the nurses they work with but also executives and physicians. Good communication is more than just face-to-face, it also encompasses over the phone, email and even texting.
- Leadership skills. A nurse manager also needs to possess strong leadership skills. These skills include the ability to manage, delegate, and solve problems when they arise.
- Positive attitude. Nursing is a hard job, and it can be very stressful. That’s why a nurse manager with a positive outlook can be more effective than one who rules with an iron fist.
- Computer skills. A nurse manager also needs to bring technology acumen to the table. There are a lot of aspects of nursing that will be touched by new technology, so a nurse manager needs to be able to use computer skills to promote their use on the floor.
- Financial knowledge. There is also a lot of money that needs to be accounted for by the nurse manager. You may not think about this aspect of that kind of role, but a good nurse manager will have some general financial knowledge.
- Nursing background. Of course, a good nurse manager is someone who can speak the same language as the nurses they manage. That means having an actual, on the ground, clinical background will be essential.
Hiring top nurse manager candidates doesn’t have to be a scary prospect. You can partner with an agency that specializes in sourcing and pre-screening qualified candidates for these exact positions.
Work with a Top Healthcare Staffing Agency in Dallas TX
Are you looking for nurse managers for your organization? Contact CornerStone Medical today to learn how our team of healthcare recruiters can help!